Spicy Island Ginger Cake
This will tantalize your tastebuds while baking in the oven! Compliments of my fellow charter chef, Karen. Best served with my Rum Caramel Sauce (on our recipe page).
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup ginger beer
- 2 tbsp grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp chopped crystalized ginger
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9" x 9" pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine the following in saucepan over low heat stirring until butter melts: dark molasses, dark brown sugar, butter, ginger beer, grated ginger root, chopped crystallized ginger. Set aside to cool.
- When cool add eggs beaten and dark rum.
- Combine the following dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, ground ginger, salt
- Fold dry ingredients into the molasses mixture And pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees 30 to 40 min.