Spicy Chicken Thai Soup
A seriously delicious Thai treat! Serve with rice or rice noodles if desired. One of my favourite soups!
- 3 lemongrass stalks, bottom half of tender inner bulbs only, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 4 inch piece fresh ginger root, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut in chunks
- 12 oz fresh white mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tsp red curry paste (or more to taste)
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 14 oz cans coconut milk (use only one if you'd like soup to be less diluted)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced into rings
- Stir lemon grass, garlic, and ginger together in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; Stir in chicken; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes.
- tir in red curry paste, fish sauce, and lime juice until combined. Stir in chicken broth and coconut milk; return to a simmer and cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Skim off any excess oil and fat that rises to the top and discard.
- Stir red onion into the chicken mixture; cook and stir until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add about 1/2 the cilantro.
- Serve with plates of cilantro, lime wedges, and fresh sliced jalapenos.